Hey! I just realized that I took time to write my VISION for next year before I really took time to honor the highlights of 2018. Sometimes I do things backwards, but it sure is a fun exercise. I recommend you take a moment to write out your highlights from 2018. You might be surprised by JUST HOW MUCH of your life is filled with meaningful experiences.
Here are my highlights of 2018...
- Opening shows for Sierra Hull was such a joy. She and I bonded, forming a friendship and sisterhood that I wasn’t expecting. What a sweet bonus. Beyond playing larger venues than I am used to and being introduced to her really devoted audience, I gained a new sister friend. Plus I got to connect with my Florida relatives from both my mom’s and dad’s side.
- Florida tour with The Gatherers was really swampy and I realized just how much the Florida contingency digs the Americana/indie folk sound. I was blown away by the amount of support we received on our first trip to Florida.
- Being a Songwriters Serenade Judge was a huge honor (though I am not pumped on that word, “Judge”). I am grateful to have met Mary Bragg, (our 2018 winner) who later in the year participated in our Reveille Songwriting Retreat.
- We had an eye opening family Trip to Spain with the Leslie’s; The Bad Bad Leslie’s to be exact. We feel more connected than ever before.
- Oh, how I love the Big Sur Fiddle Camp! Co-facilitating this week is one of the ways I get to stay connected to our community and the remarkable young musicians growing up today.
- Rapidgrass with The Bad Bad Leslie’s and Sam Reider & The Human Hands was such a blast!
- Playing Telluride Bluegrass Festival with The Gatherers was one of my all time favorite lifetime experiences. Ever. Our band has grown into a family of its own. Excited to see where the music takes us.
- Closing on a house in Nashville, TN with my life partner and husband Dominick Leslie is something I never thought I would be a part of. We are grateful for the support of our families!
- Scandinavian tour with Zephaniah O’Hora! I also got to slip in a little visit to Iceland for a long layover which was incredible!
- I ran a half marathon in Sweden... I surprised myself with that one.
- Speaking at the TEDx Palo Alto event in with some of the worlds most incredible young musicians actually changes me. I am very inspired by the “Seeds Of Music”, and I am excited to watch them grow.
- Co-Facilitating the 3rd annual Reveille Songwriters Retreat with my sister Stephanie Hunt and our dear “brother” friend Dustin Welch (and his sister Savannah who joined us this year) was another life changing event. So many incredible songs were written. I am continually blown away by the depth of healing we are all willing to share when we gather intentionally. Always grateful to TR Ranch for hosting us and allowing us the time and space for this deep healing work.
- Joining Tony Trischka for his annual "Of A Winter's Night" tour brought the spirit of the season into many hearts. I love playing with Tony and the diverse cast of characters he brings to the stage. Thanks, Tony!
I could probably go on but I won’t. Let’s just suffice it to say it was an amazing year in my little world.
Grateful beyond measure and excited to see what is to come.
Thank you 2018. While the world is in a state of chaos - music, family, yoga and friendships keep me focused on what really matters.
Blessings to you this new year!